Click here to find about about the SOUP Songbook for Tablets.
SOUP also has print copies for sale, available at a SOUP Wednesday night jam.
About Jam Session "Trial Songs"
From time to time, test copies of songs are circulated at the jam session before being officially added to the SOUP songbook. Songs under consideration and testing at jam sessions will not appear on the official song list and will not have a number.
Learn About Our Songbook
Here are a few tips to help you understand notation used in the Songbook.
1. One of the chord charts included in the Songbook is the “SOUP Songbook Basic Chords” chart. Chords on this chart will not have diagrams in the Songbook, so it would be helpful for all players to know how to play these “basic chords”.
2. If chords are in parentheses, e.g. (G7) (C), these chords are played only at the very end of a song. You may often see chords in parentheses at the end of a chorus. Don’t play them until the very last time through the song.
3. Slash marks, e.g. / / / / are used to represent rhythm in some Intros, Outros, and Instrumental Bridges, and to guide the beat count in tricky sections of some songs. Each slash represents one beat.
4. A chord with slashes indicates the number of beats to play on that chord; e.g. C / means do a single strum on C. C / / / / means do 4 beats on C. This way of using slash marks is specific to the S.O.U.P. Songbook, and may not be similar to slash marks used in music notation you have seen elsewhere
5. Notation for downstrums (d) and upstrums (u), is used for some suggested strumming patterns. Capital D or U means the emphasized beat. So, e.g. a calypso strum, which has its emphasis on the second beat, may be indicated as: dDu udu.
6. Sometimes an arrow will be used to indicate the rise or fall of the melody if there is a particularly “tricky” section; e.g. “…when we live in a world of our ↑own”.
7. Sometimes a beat count is given, particularly to help with the count between sections of a song, such as between a Bridge and verse. This count is given in parentheses (2 3 4 1 2 3 4).
Extra Chord Charts
NEWEST At-A-Glance - Songs Added
Latest song printed on paper, updates handed out at the jam Wed. October 3, 2018
Zipped file of both new and revised songs PLUS Indexes from October 3, 2018
16 Chains (retired Swing Low Sweet Chariot)
27 Budapest (retired Kiss the Girl
44 Ahead By a Century (retired I'se the B'y)
45 I'd Like to teach the world to sing (retired Sentimental Journey)
46 Paperback Rider (retired The Ukulele Song)
58 Blister In the Sun (retired I Only Want to be with You)
75 This is Me (retired Tennessee Waltz)
87 Handle With Care (retired Goodnight Sweetheart)
117 Sound of Silence (retired Teddy Bear Picnic)
119 Years Time (retired I Want To Hold Your Hand)
160 Dream Baby (retired I’ll Be Seeing You)
9 Amazing Grace
15 Cover of the Rolling Stone
33 Bird On A Wire
91 Up Above My Head
103 Price Tag
133 Da Doo Ron Run
134 Ring of Fire
137 My Little Runaway
138 Brown Eyed Girl
All Indexs updated on October 3, 2018
Special non numbered song sheet:
Welcome Song, Happy Birthday Song and Thank You Song
Individual Songs in the SOUP Songbook