|SOUP - (Southern Ontario Ukulele Players)||
To print a complete copy of the Songbook we use at our jam sessions, we recommend you download the Index and chord charts below.
All Indexs updated on March 21, 2018
About Jam Session "Trial Songs"
From time to time, test copies of songs are circulated at the jam session before being officially added to the SOUP songbook. Songs under consideration and testing at jam sessions will not appear on the official song list and will not have a number.
Learn About Our Songbook
Here are a few tips to help you understand notation used in the Songbook.
1. One of the chord charts included in the Songbook is the “SOUP Songbook Basic Chords” chart. Chords on this chart will not have diagrams in the Songbook, so it would be helpful for all players to know how to play these “basic chords”.
2. If chords are in parentheses, e.g. (G7) (C), these chords are played only at the very end of a song. You may often see chords in parentheses at the end of a chorus. Don’t play them until the very last time through the song.
3. Slash marks, e.g. / / / / are used to represent rhythm in some Intros, Outros, and Instrumental Bridges, and to guide the beat count in tricky sections of some songs. Each slash represents one beat.
4. A chord with slashes indicates the number of beats to play on that chord; e.g. C / means do a single strum on C. C / / / / means do 4 beats on C. This way of using slash marks is specific to the S.O.U.P. Songbook, and may not be similar to slash marks used in music notation you have seen elsewhere
5. Notation for downstrums (d) and upstrums (u), is used for some suggested strumming patterns. Capital D or U means the emphasized beat. So, e.g. a calypso strum, which has its emphasis on the second beat, may be indicated as: dDu udu.
6. Sometimes an arrow will be used to indicate the rise or fall of the melody if there is a particularly “tricky” section; e.g. “…when we live in a world of our ↑own”.
7. Sometimes a beat count is given, particularly to help with the count between sections of a song, such as between a Bridge and verse. This count is given in parentheses (2 3 4 1 2 3 4).
Extra Chord Charts
NEWEST At-A-Glance - Songs Added
Latest song update - April 11, 2018 -
Song 104, Put A Little Love In Your Heart
Latest Songbook changes as of March 21, 2018 will be handed out at the jam Wed. March 21, 2018.
Thank you to the entire Songbook Committee who arrange and put together the songs that appear in the official songbook - it's a lot of work behind the scenes.
Zipped file of both new and revised songs from March 21, 2018 PLUS updated song #104
13 The Circle Game - retired: Shining From the Inside
65 If I Ever Leave This World Alive - retired: Sundown
79 Margaritaville - retired: Yellow Bird
88 Spirits - retired: Smile
104 Put A Little Love In Your Heart - retired: Dream a Little Dream
107 Sweet Caroline -retired: Leaning on a Lampost
18 This Little Light of Mine
57 Four Strong Winds
60 Happy Together - 2 pages
66 Fare Thee Well
78 Have You Ever Seen the Rain
106 I Believe in Music - 2 pages
119 I Want to Hold Your Hand
131 Wagon Wheel
139 There's a Kind of Hush
148 Lean on Me
Special non numbered song sheet:
Welcome Song, Happy Birthday Song and Thank You Song
Individual Songs in the SOUP Songbook